About This Recipe
Wrap sandwiches are delicious, to me, for several reasons. First, they are easy to make and easy to eat. The filling doesn’t fall out as you eat, and you can fill them with anything you want. My recipe for Chicken Wrap Sandwich is a great example of this type of food.
The main problem I have with sandwiches is when the bun or bread squishes down as you eat. I like a really sturdy bun or bread that stands up to the filling. But with a wrap sandwich, that is not an issue. The tortilla stays the same from the first bite to the last. My favorite is Mission brand tortillas. You can get flour tortillas, whole wheat, gluten free, and even tortillas made from cauliflower flour. (And no, that is not an affiliate link – I don’t make any money linking to that company.)
Because chicken is so mild, I like to use a flavorful dressing for the sandwich. Honey mustard is my choice, but you can omit that and use any type of dressing: Caesar, ranch, creamy Italian, or even barbecue sauce of Buffalo chicken sauce. Of course, if you are making this for children, keep it mild!
This sandwich also holds up well in lunchboxes. The tortillas do not get soggy, and the whole thing stays fresh and delicious.
Tips for the best Chicken Wrap Sandwich
- Start with well cooked chicken. I always use rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I have tried and tried to make tender chicken, from crockpots to grilling, and I have to say that produce produces tender, juicy chicken every time.
- You can use flour or corn tortillas for this sandwich. Just make sure it’s sturdy.
- Other vegetables you can use include chopped bell pepper, chopped zucchini, shredded carrots, sliced green onion, or even baby peas.
- If the sandwich is going to be held for a while before you eat, line the tortillas with crisp lettuce leaves before you add the filling. That will help protect the tortilla from moisture. Make sure the lettuce is well dried before you assemble the sandwich.
Why this recipe works
- The filing combines tender chicken with smooth and creamy mustard dressing and lots of fresh crunchy veggies.
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, honey mustard, and dressing and mix well. Stir in the chicken, tomato, bacon, and bell pepper.
Place the tortillas on the counter. Top with the lettuce and the cheese, then add the chicken filling. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Eat immediately or cover and store up to six hours in the refrigerator or an insulated lunchbox.