About This Recipe
There’s nothing like a chicken salad in the spring and summer. There are so many different combinations of this type of salad. My favorites include the fruits of spring and summer, as in this recipe for Berry and Mint Chicken Salad.
This is probably the most beautiful salad in my repertoire. And remember, you “eat” with your eyes first so the way food looks is important!
Strawberries and raspberries are the perfect additions to this gorgeous salad. I add some fresh asparagus as well for color, flavor, and texture. The dressing is made of more raspberries, pureed with mayonnaise and raspberry yogurt along with some fresh mint. You could use strawberry yogurt in place of the raspberry yogurt if you’d like.
This Berry and Mint Chicken Salad is picture perfect, colorful, fragrant, and healthy. You’ll make it often this spring and summer! Serve it with some homemade muffins for a great meal.
Tips for the best Berry and Mint Chicken Salad:
- Cook the pasta to perfect al dente perfection. The pasta is an important part of this recipe and it must be done right. Taste the pasta. When it’s tender but still slightly firm, it’s done.
- Really search the markets for the best strawberries and raspberries. You can’t make this recipe out of season, sadly.
- The best cooked chicken is rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. Remove the meat while the bird is still hot, cube it, and add to the dressing for tender and juicy chicken.
Why this recipe works:
- Berries and chicken are a natural combination. The sweet and sour taste of fruit is perfect with mild and slightly nutty tasting chicken.
- Mint makes everything taste fresh. It adds a slightly sweet note as well.
- You may want to add the raspberries as the salad is served. These delicate berries are easily crushed.
- This salad doesn’t keep long; just a few days in the fridge. But you shouldn’t have much left over!
In a blender or food processor, combine the raspberry yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, and 1/2 cup raspberries. Blend or process until smooth. Stir in the chopped mint and place in a large bowl.
Cook the pasta according to the package directions until al dente. Add the asparagus during the last two minutes or cooking time. Drain the pasta and asparagus and add to the bowl with the dressing. Stir gently to coat.
Stir in the chicken and the strawberries. Top with the raspberries but do not stir.
Cover and chill the salad for 2 to 3 hours before serving. Gently stir in the raspberries before you serve this beautiful salad.