About This Recipe
I love chicken salad. And coleslaw. And sunflower seeds. So why not put all of them together? This recipe for Chicken Sunflower Coleslaw is a fresh and super easy main dish salad that is just the thing for a hot summer night because it requires no cooking. At all.
Of course, you do have to use rotisserie chickens from the supermarket, or use leftover chicken. Plan ahead and cook extra, then refrigerate it (only for a couple of days) before you make this salad. Then just chop veggies, remove the meat from the chicken and shred or cube it, mix up the dressing, and you’re done.
You can use red or green cabbage in this easy and healthy recipe. I prefer the red just because I like the way it looks, and I think it has a sweeter flavor.
Use any veggie you’d like in this fabulous Chicken Sunflower Coleslaw recipe. You could add some frozen peas, frozen or fresh corn, zucchini, mushrooms – the sky’s the limit.
Enjoy every bite.
Tips for best Chicken Sunflower Coleslaw:
- Really, use a rotisserie chicken. I keep harping on that but it’s the best way to get the most tender chicken. When I have served chicken salad to guests they always ask how I get the chicken so tender. I can’t cook chicken as tender as rotisserie chicken. And I have tried!
- You have to use Miracle Whip in this dressing. Don’t sneer – the tang of the dressing (just like the commercials say) really adds depth of flavor to the recipe.
Why this recipe works:
- The crunch of cabbage and cauliflower and sunflower seeds add textural interest to this flavorful salad.
- I have always had best results when using a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to make any chicken salad. I have tried many times to cook chicken using methods from the crockpot to the grill and rotisserie chicken is the most tender.
- Miracle Whip adds a tang to the salad dressing you can’t get with any other ingredient. Please don’t omit it.
Combine the mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, honey mustard, and lemon juice in a large bowl and mix well.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently but thoroughly to coat. Cover and chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving. Store, covered, in the fridge up to 4 days.